Friday 21 June 2013

Colour vs Color



Note to reader: Please excuse my tendency to rant.

Having been exposed to different educational systems and being raised in three countries, two of which are among leading continents in the world... it gets to a point where I have to ask myself, does being politically correct  ALL of the time really matter?  I mean should it matter...
I am fortunate to have experienced both the British and American educational systems but does spelling apologise with an, “s” opposed to a, “z” really matter... It baffles me sometimes.
I, for one, am always being challenged depending on where I am in the world to remember the differences, to constantly adapt so as not to offend anyone but to also not appear to be clueless, ignorant or misinformed...  and let me assure you that I am far from any of those attributes.  I am one of the most cultivated, cultured, educated and enlightened individuals you’d ever meet in your life and that’s not to toot my own horn, it’s truth.
Though it does make me feel a head above the rest when I’m in London to say... no, color is spelt with a u as in colour... both have the same definition.
Here’s what gets me... Why is Leicester pronounced Lester?  And if Leicester existed before Lester why was it changed or shortened?  Why couldn’t it be standard across the board? 
I’m sure there are many theories that would lend itself to my questions... but I just needed to put it out there...

As you were...

No comments:

Post a Comment